Sunday, October 10, 2010

Connie Mack in the Haus...

Ok, So as a member of the BBA, I get to cast a vote for the Connie Mack Award, which is my opinion on which Manager was the best of they year in the American League. This isn't a scientific, stat laden decision (as many of mine rarely are). This is a shoot from the hip, who I think deserves it most decision.

So without further adieu, my top three nominees are...

#1 - MY WINNER - Ron Washington of the Texas Rangers (90-72). Rangers went through a lot the last couple of seasons... from old owners to new owners to Nolan Ryan and bankruptcy. Ron Washington managed to keep the team focused and on target while overcoming a dirty little test which he admitted to some unfortunate substance abuse. Big props for Mr. Washington leading his Rangers to their first playoff appearance in this millennium.

#2 - Joe Maddon of the Tampa Bay Rays (96-66). I don't watch a whole lot of the Rays (due mostly in part to the fact that they are not in my television market) but I have seen the documentaries and such, I like to think that Joe Maddon is an all round good guy - Sans the Brayzers craze (yeah, sorry, they are ugly and need to go away) On the outside it looks as if all Tampa Bay needed was a uniform change and a name change to make them perennial contenders. But I like to think that Joe Maddon had something to do with it as well.

#3 - Ron Gardenhire - Minnesota Twinkies(94-68). This pains me being a Tigers fan and the Twinkies are repeatedly raining on our playoff parade. Ron Gardenhire is constantly overlooked for this award. I think that it is because they have a tendency to choke in the playoffs year after year but lest we not forget that it takes an incredible amount of managing, baseball knowledge and people skills to get there year after year. Consistency is not an easy feat, but Ron makes it look like it is simple as cake.

Comming soon to this blog near you... the Willie Mays Rookie award and the Stan Musial most awesomest player of the year award... stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment